Steamhawke

Hello Guest

Login with username, password and session.

Author Topic: A question for your next chapter  

Topic Modified: 22/12/12 (09:06) AM
Dae, would you need a character ...only for your next chapter? If yes, what type of character? Give me a few ideas, and if you are willing to help me understand how Nova goes, I am yours. I can't commit to much, this is why I say only for the next chapter... but who knows, after I kill or make that one disappear, I might bring another... No promises about this, though. What I can promise is that I am not vanishing in the middle of the chapter, and that poor little Anti-technicus me will try to learn how Nova writing together system functions.

Yes, and another question: do you allow celebrity playbys too? (Not the claim is bothering me, I can go without a claim but still with that face, because if you don't, I have nobody to make my graphic...)

Elena

• Sailor
  • a seadog looking for crewmates
Information topic
  • Date: 22/12/12
  • Time: 09:02 AM
  • Number of visits: 5694
  • Number of Replies: 20
  • Topic Approved: Yes
  • Topic Sticky: No
  • Topic Locked: No
  • Poll: No
  • Modified by: Elena

Re: A question for your next chapter

« Reply #1 » Published on:December 22, 2012, 11:49:18 AM

Daenelia

• Captain of the Steamhawke
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Daenelia.com
That is a very interesting offer! Let me talk to Five about it, because we do have some ideas for next chapter and a one-chapter character could be a possibility!

Of course I'll help you with Nova! I do that for everyone, and most members now know enough to help others as well. If you can use a forum, or send emails, you can use nova :)

I'll be in touch! And if anyone else has any ideas for a character for one chapter, feel free to pitch in!

My avatar was drawn by Pyrochan, as commissioned by me

« Reply #2 » Published on:December 25, 2012, 08:32:24 PM

Elena

• Sailor
    • View Profile
    • Before the Mast
OK. So whenever you get ideas about characters... tell it to me. I;ll lurk the forum for a while... but am I too cheeky if I ask you to send me an e-mail when you decide? Because I don't know what kind of alerts to set to this topic (or how).

And approximatively when is the new chapter expected to start? (January, February, March...?)

« Reply #3 » Published on:December 29, 2012, 12:02:17 AM

utahann

• Landlubber
    • View Profile
If it's okay with Dae,I'd like it if Mei discovered another sentient automaton,sort of a "brother"

« Reply #4 » Published on:December 29, 2012, 01:11:57 PM

Elena

• Sailor
    • View Profile
    • Before the Mast
Tell me more about it. If somebody else has another idea of a character concept and I have the opportunity to choose between 2, I will. But if not, I go with yours.

« Reply #5 » Published on:December 29, 2012, 03:15:57 PM

utahann

• Landlubber
    • View Profile
Well,I picture him as being more bitter and gruff in personality than Mei but rather protective of her as he would somehow know about her and be looking for her.But again,we'll need Dae's approval
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 03:22:09 PM by utahann »

« Reply #6 » Published on:December 29, 2012, 06:08:34 PM

Elena

• Sailor
    • View Profile
    • Before the Mast
I read Mei's bio, and I understood it only partially, so if you want her brother, I am ready to do it, but I might have some questions/ ask you to comment on the bio first, before submitting it as final. And yes, I can see him on the opposite side - because you need villains too, don't you?

My first misunderstanding is if what you call "automaton" is a sort of robot like Data in Star Trek or something built to which somebody's soul was trapped in somehow. I have no idea about steampunk and I had never thought to play anything other than a human, but this is a challenge and challenges are good for one's writing development... :)

« Reply #7 » Published on:December 29, 2012, 09:28:23 PM

utahann

• Landlubber
    • View Profile
An automaton is a steampunk version of a robot,think Data but powered by spiritual energies (not necessarily souls)

« Reply #8 » Published on:December 29, 2012, 10:29:39 PM

Daenelia

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Daenelia.com
I know you'd like Mei to have a brother, but automatons should be incredibly rare in the setting. Even for a temporary character, I don't think it is a good idea. Mei-Xiu is very unique, it miust take a lot of money and resources to create something like her.

But how about this:
Mei ran away, how about someone is sent out to get her back? Someone who tries to win her affection and trust first, and then (because it is a temporary character) this someone gets killed because the crew of the Steamhawke don't want to give Mei up?

This 'hunter'  could pretend to be close to her 'father', and treat her like a long lost sister.

How does that sound?

« Reply #9 » Published on:December 29, 2012, 10:45:20 PM

Five

• Maker of Tea, Eater of Cakes
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
An automaton as advanced as Mei is precious and unique, and bringing in another one like her would make things less special.  I don't want to suggest that these kind of sentient automata are common.  I suppose the comparison with Data is good enough, ie not every starship had its own android.

Mei is of so much value that there are all kinds of people who would be interested in acquiring her.  There is potential for temporary characters there.

« Reply #10 » Published on:December 30, 2012, 12:34:37 PM

Elena

• Sailor
    • View Profile
    • Before the Mast
Then I could bring a mercenary? Do you see a need for one? If yes, all right, I have one whose story can be adapted for the setting.

And I'll post in the writing chapter of the forum a story with him, for you to see if you like the writing style. It's called "Dancing in the dark" and it was edited 1000 times only because I had troubles with formatting the titles - don't ask me why :(

About when is it envisaged to start the new chapter?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 01:03:13 PM by Elena »

« Reply #11 » Published on:December 30, 2012, 04:52:30 PM

Daenelia

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Daenelia.com
From how far we've come so far, I'd say new chapter is expected mid-january.

I am sure a mercenary would be great! Go right ahead with him :)

« Reply #12 » Published on:December 30, 2012, 07:33:04 PM

Elena

• Sailor
    • View Profile
    • Before the Mast
Joined. I hope it can be further edited to put the image, because I didn't know where to put it.

And I know that I will have to wait until the next chapter to actually join the story, but until then I'll read around and I'll familiarize myself with the characters and story.

« Reply #13 » Published on:January 03, 2013, 11:18:16 AM

Elena

• Sailor
    • View Profile
    • Before the Mast
So, attempting to think about writing an introductory post for Chago too...

I will read everything I can find about Mei, but I guess I need a bit more information...

Mei is of so much value that there are all kinds of people who would be interested in acquiring her - this is why Chago had been sent? Who might want her? A powerful existing character or already named NPC, or should I make my own?

Bringing her back to whom she had run away from is also an option, and in this case Chago was not told she had run away, but that she had been kidnapped or something. He would be convinced his quest is a right one (until realising it was not exactly this way).

I am not in a hurry, I understand it is for the next chapter. But it doesn't mean that until the chapter starts I can't have a few ideas in my head... or even sketched in a post which won't be actually posted until getting the approval (and starting the chapter).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 11:23:09 AM by Elena »

« Reply #14 » Published on:January 03, 2013, 07:47:29 PM

Five

• Maker of Tea, Eater of Cakes
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Off the top of my head, here are the existing people who would be interested in getting their hands on Mei:

The Church of the Machine is a cult that believes that technology is perfection, that there is a machine god that speaks to everyone.  They are mentioned throughout chapter 6.  The apprentice known as Erm was indocrinated into the cult and then believed Mei to be some kind of prophet: http://www.steamhawke.com/index.php/sim/viewpost/187  So it is conceivable that the church would not want Mei to leave Seaport, and send someone to get her back.

Mei's original owner might want to get her back.  He was apparently going to dismantle her for going rogue, but maybe he really wants to fix her.  If you like this idea you could discuss it with Mei.

The Dollmaker is a skyship captain who kidnapped a young girl and became obsessed with transforming her into his own porcelain and clockwork creation.  The girl was Nasrin Columbine who was briefly aboard the Steamhawke before Daenelia found a home for her.

Profile of the character: http://www.steamhawke.com/index.php/personnel/character/32
The writer's posts: http://www.steamhawke.com/index.php/personnel/viewposts/c/32

The captain character is almost a blank slate outside of Nasrin's bio, but I believe he could be fleshed out into someone who would definitely be interested in acquiring Mei and adding her to his collection.

You can of course come up with your own ideas!