Steamhawke

Hello Guest

Login with username, password and session.

Author Topic: What makes the pirates evil?  

Topic Original "No modification"
Just a random topic on our ideas about evil and how we present it in the story.

There are no storybook evil characters who are just evil for the sake of being evil. As for everyone, choices in life lead to different outcomes and turns, which make it easier for one character to stay on the straight and narrow more, and makes it almost unavoidable for a character to make the wrong decision time after time.

I don't see Daenelia as evil. She is an opportunist, and at the moment it is opportune to do things that are not exactly legal and lawful. The quickest results for the least amount of energy. Is she good? No, not really. She is quite selfish and has very little empathic ability, and what she does think about other's feelings and thoughts are only to her own benefit. That doesn't make her evil either. Just narrow-minded. A lot could be explained from her havin to fend for herself at an early age, but she probably alway was a bit selfish and looking out for number one.

At the same time, she thinks she is a caring person, who is fair and honest to her crew. Her own self-image is distorted.

So how do you think your character does in terms of good and evil?

Daenelia

• Captain of the Steamhawke
  • Administrator
Information topic
  • Date: 05/05/14
  • Time: 10:18 AM
  • Number of visits: 1995
  • Number of Replies: 6
  • Topic Approved: Yes
  • Topic Sticky: No
  • Topic Locked: No
  • Poll: No

Re: What makes the pirates evil?

« Reply #1 » Published on:May 05, 2014, 10:02:12 PM

Kou

• Landlubber
  • Meep meeeep.
    • View Profile
I personally think that the most important factor determining whether the character is evil or not, is about whether or not they realize what they are doing. Sure a person can make their own choices about harming others, but. I don't think anyone thinks that Snape is very evil, even though he is mean, because there is his past to take into account.

Laure wasn't "doomed" to be of angelic nature at first. I never intended to make him purely a good character, as they are usually unrealistic, boring and I feel sorry for them getting hurt, but I will forever consider himself as one, whatever he did. First I thought he could never be a pirate but hey, why not? He's just trying to live on the planet and the authorities aren't that pure-hearted either. In my own stories, he has done things I personally think are pretty horrible, but he's done them without thinking.
He doesn't approve of everything that the pirates are doing, and he isn't going to kill anyone himself, but he is being realistic. What can he suggest to them to do?
 He'll probably get pretty scared when he realizes how much he can accept of what they are doing but you have to see the context. There isn't much sense in sacrificing yourself just for the sake of justice since most people won't ever do the same. Because, again, they are ignorant.
I also have self-centered, criminal characters and I don't consider one of them evil.

I'm sure the pirates know exactly what they are doing, but they probably can't see any other way, so I would blame them of horrible self-ignorance more than being outright evil.

Just my thoughts on the matter :x

« Reply #2 » Published on:May 06, 2014, 09:53:35 AM

Daenelia

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Daenelia.com
Excellent thoughts!

Makes you wonder what 'evil' really is, eh?
My avatar was drawn by Pyrochan, as commissioned by me

« Reply #3 » Published on:May 07, 2014, 11:16:39 AM

Steve

• Landlubber
    • View Profile
I think opportunism is also probably the best fit for Omar.  He is far from evil, just has a lower moral tolerance as it were.  Blame his upbringing and experience.  Being raised in a circus would skew his view of the world from most "normal" people to start with and then he spent most of the rest of his life with pirates after an abusive start.  It's quite amazing that he has any moral compass at all, but he very much does.

« Reply #4 » Published on:May 07, 2014, 11:44:42 AM

Daenelia

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Daenelia.com
Moral compass is a fluid thing.

It is amazing what people can justify to themselves, based on how they see the way the world works. Not saying that the pirates see themselves as good people in bad ciscumstances; I bet they know they do stuff that is on the edge or just downright wrong on any level. But I think many of them feel they have no choice. That the world is out to get them.

Not to say that one small change or decision gone the other way could have made their lives totallty different... which actually is a good idea for Alternate Steamhawke stories.
My avatar was drawn by Pyrochan, as commissioned by me

« Reply #5 » Published on:May 07, 2014, 09:49:26 PM

Tals

• Sailor
    • View Profile
    • dA
Ashrieda is a mess. She's definitely not evil, but definitely not good either. If this were D&D she'd probably be 'chaotic neutral'. Like just about everyone else, she's an opportunist; she just does whatever feels right at the time, and what ensures her survival. Probably has something to do with not having a stable home ever and then having to grow up practically overnight. And yet, I think if she weren't a pirate she'd be a missionary.
av made for me by Fiona Marchbank

« Reply #6 » Published on:May 11, 2014, 01:21:06 PM

Five

• Maker of Tea, Eater of Cakes
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
In his moments of clarity, maybe McGinty regrets some of the things he's done, but most of the time he is too far gone to do much thinking at all.

Colton on the other hand understand right and wrong, but he has felt a betrayal so powerful that he has snapped and doesn't really care about people any more.  He desperately wants to take his revenge on Daenelia, but he is also not strong enough to kill her yet, and somehow this equates to hanging around her and making sure nobody else kills her first.  I'm having fun trying to figure him out.