Steamhawke

Hello Guest

Login with username, password and session.

Author Topic: Currently watching anything good?  

Topic Original "No modification"
Five and I are still watching old series and episodes of stuff that's been lying around for a while... or that I got for my birthday.

We just finished watching (re-watching) 'Are you being served' and are now picking up MASH again.

Anything new we should consider watchig?

Daenelia

• Captain of the Steamhawke
  • Administrator
Information topic
  • Date: 20/03/14
  • Time: 10:14 AM
  • Number of visits: 1706
  • Number of Replies: 5
  • Topic Approved: Yes
  • Topic Sticky: No
  • Topic Locked: No
  • Poll: No

Re: Currently watching anything good?

« Reply #1 » Published on:March 20, 2014, 11:59:03 AM

Steve

• Landlubber
    • View Profile
Are You Being Served?  Really?  *shudders*  Have you seen Fawlty Towers?  Porridge was okay for a sitcom.  The Mighty Boosh? (although I'm still undecided on it, it was a little hit and miss for me.)

Current stuff I recommend if you haven't seen it:

Have you seen Helix?  I've enjoyed it.  Quirky and very WTF?  I tend to like witty, clever, wordy comedy drama stuff to actual "comedy" so I'd offer Suits, Franklin and Bash, Hustle (classic).  Brooklin Nine Nine has been surprisingly good for a comedy, check that out.  Have you seen Black Sails?  It's a pirate thing, I watched the first episode and it's okay, I'm going to watch some more (especially now).

I enjoyed Dollhouse (make sure you get the extra episodes that were DVD extras - really adds a lot I felt) although it got a lot of mixed reviews.  Stick with it, it takes a while to warm up and ignore the lead character, they others are much better, more interesting and give hugely better performances.

Stuff that's very good but you've probably seen anyway (if not, why not?) - Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Firefly (I get a feel of Firefly in Steamhawke, don't know if that's intentional?), Mentalist (dragged on a bit though and the conclusion of the main storyline was pants imo, but I enjoyed a lot of it).  Lost, of course.  And so many more.  I could go on. :)  Maybe you should narrow it down a bit?  ;D

« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 12:04:35 PM by Steve »

« Reply #2 » Published on:March 20, 2014, 12:49:15 PM

Daenelia

• Captain of the Steamhawke
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Daenelia.com
Fawlty Towers, obviously.

Porridge, I saw the Dutch version and that was so-so.

Are you being served is pretty good from time to time. Yes, it's dated, but the story telling for a simple comedy is pretty good (that said, I am one of those peope who also loved 'Allo 'Allo, so I do have questionable tastes. Must be to compensate watching Shakespeare's plays at age 15.).

Seen Firefly, obviously (I am not sure if Firefly really inspired Steamhawke. But it must have, since you're not the first to amention). Read AsoIaF, and watched the first season of GoT. Lost, of course, except the final season.

Dollhouse. I think I watched one or two episodes, and wasn't impressed. Must give it another go.

Actually not sure why we havent watched Walking Dead; Five is a massive zombie-stories fan.

Helix and the rest are unknowns! Yay! We shall check them out!

And Black Sails sounds... awesome, by its title alone.
My avatar was drawn by Pyrochan, as commissioned by me

« Reply #3 » Published on:March 20, 2014, 01:20:16 PM

Steve

• Landlubber
    • View Profile
Black Sails is a "prequal" of Treasure Island apparently.  It sort of follows John Silver joining Captain Flint's crew. :)

Walking Dead is one of the best series ever.  It's just awesome drama. 

I'm on the "Dragons" book but it's been dragging for me.  A friend had been nagging me to read GoT for years and I finally got around to it.  Literally months after the series appeared. :)  Another cracking drama/story.

« Reply #4 » Published on:March 20, 2014, 01:45:15 PM

Steve

• Landlubber
    • View Profile
I can't believe I forgot True Detective. Just brilliant.

« Reply #5 » Published on:March 21, 2014, 02:06:30 PM

Kou

• Landlubber
  • Meep meeeep.
    • View Profile
I don't know what kind of series you might like watching but I personally love To Nisi ;__;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Nisi

It's about the island of Spinalonga and the leper colony in there, which actually existed. The characters, the setting, the actors and the story are wonderful...and the theme not being wonderful at all is wonderful. The series is actually quite horrible and sad, but also very beautiful.

I don't know but I seriously can't find any faults in this series. Maybe it could be too character-based for someone.

For me, the most important factors determining a good series, are
- that the series is completely realistic (when it's supposed to be realistic)
- Good characters, if not, good actors at least
- that it evokes strong feelings, both of sadness and happiness.

And that's what it does :x