Steamhawke

Hello Guest

Login with username, password and session.

Author Topic: How's the winter?  

Topic Original "No modification"
I kinda get that the people on the other side of the world (USA) are getting plenty of winter weather. And we've had the warmest winter since a long time.

Now I do remember when I had to walk to work in the snow, a few years back... but not this year. And frankly, I don't miss it :)

Anyone got snowed in the past few weeks/months?

Daenelia

• Captain of the Steamhawke
  • Administrator
Information topic
  • Date: 17/02/14
  • Time: 11:06 AM
  • Number of visits: 1238
  • Number of Replies: 2
  • Topic Approved: Yes
  • Topic Sticky: No
  • Topic Locked: No
  • Poll: No

Re: How's the winter?

« Reply #1 » Published on:February 19, 2014, 06:28:07 PM

Tals

• Sailor
    • View Profile
    • dA
Yep, it's been dangerously cold here. It's been the coldest I can remember in pretty much ever. But it's been pretty and cold, at least in my neck of the woods, which makes it much more tolerable.(we've actually dodged quite a bullet precipitation wise, knock on wood). 

We did have two snow days last week (Tuesday and Wednesday), with high temperatures of around 30 F (-1 C). The second day was mostly a safety precaution.

This week, the temperature is pushing 70 F (21 C), which where I live, temperature...changes (can't think of the word I'm looking for) like this are normal. Unfortunately, warmer weather also means tornado season is coming, which is a whole different kettle of worms.
av made for me by Fiona Marchbank

Re: How's the winter?

« Reply #2 » Published on:February 19, 2014, 06:59:07 PM

Daenelia

• Captain of the Steamhawke
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Daenelia.com
I can't imagine a tornado, let alone a season where they could happen more than once. But I guess if you are more or less used to it (and I also take it you never can get fully prepared) you have a good chance of weathering it through.

We've dodged the bullet here with the floodings, though. The UK has had some of the worst flooding, but the Dutch have had it bad in the mid-90s, which led to lots of precautions being taken and dyke-repairs being done. I think that's why we had little trouble with flooding this time.

You just got to learn to roll with the punches, weather-wise. If you live in an area prone to flooding, built a house on a hill. If you are living in an area that has a tornado popping up now and again, don't built your house out of straw...

If both happen at the same time.... Now that would be bad.
My avatar was drawn by Pyrochan, as commissioned by me