Steamhawke

Hello Guest

Login with username, password and session.

Poll

How do you see the story leaders (admins)?

They're nothing special, I treat them as regular members
0 (0%)
They're regular members with special powers
1 (33.3%)
They're admins and they control the site
1 (33.3%)
They're admins and I feel I can't talk to them
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 26, 2014, 01:03:02 PM

Author Topic: Are you intimidated by the story leaders?  

Topic Original "No modification"
Alright then.

What's your take on us, Five and Dae, in relation to Steamhawke and its writers?

Daenelia

• Captain of the Steamhawke
  • Administrator
Information topic
  • Date: 12/02/14
  • Time: 01:03 PM
  • Number of visits: 4279
  • Number of Replies: 21
  • Topic Approved: Yes
  • Topic Sticky: No
  • Topic Locked: No
  • Poll: Yes

Re: Are you intimidated by the story leaders?

« Reply #1 » Published on:February 12, 2014, 04:53:39 PM

Mar

• First Mate of the Steamhawke
  • Snot rag
    • View Profile
I voted for the last option based on what I have seen while here.  I love the site, and the plot--but I feel that, in terms of progress, you both have full reign.  This is not at all the way a collaborative site should be.  Five and Dae; your job is to make sure the rules are upheld, and that members are happy.  Everything else should be up to the members  (including, but not limited to, you).

1. In terms of journals, Elena had a great idea on who to use them.  But it was shot down.

2. Long posts and Vertigo.  I found them beautiful.  That shouldn't have been a bad thing.

3. The fact that the only issues that I have seen come up were born from both you and Five.

Elena leaving?  That made me really upset.

This is everyones site.  Not only yours.  You both must act as enforcers of rules, but allow for the members to decide the flow of the site--whether it be plot, journal usage, etc.

« Reply #2 » Published on:February 12, 2014, 06:12:15 PM

Daenelia

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Daenelia.com
Mar, I appreciate your answer!

I can only say that if you feel that way you may need to re-examine if you want to stay with us.

This is not everyone's site and I am always amazed at how people think that it is. Just because we open up to members and enjoy writing with people does not make this anymore your site, than you having tea at my house makes my house yours :)

THis is not a public service. Five and I own the site, we run the site, and in the end, we're the ones paying the bill and making this a fun environment for people who enjoy what we enjoy.

The fact that there are 'issues' coming up is because there are some people who do not communicate with us, only about us. So I address them publicly. That is not me 'making an issue', that is me desperately trying to get across what we want to accomplish.

And there are no rules to enforce. Can you point out where you think you saw any rules?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 06:14:54 PM by Daenelia »
My avatar was drawn by Pyrochan, as commissioned by me

« Reply #3 » Published on:February 12, 2014, 06:19:38 PM

Daenelia

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Daenelia.com
You both must act as enforcers of rules, but allow for the members to decide the flow of the site--whether it be plot, journal usage, etc.
I do want to point you to our mission statement where we explicitely state one thing: The site and how it is run is not a collaboration.

The story is; the site is not.

How we use posts, how we use the software, that is up to Five and me, with member input appreciated but not a deciding factor.

« Reply #4 » Published on:February 12, 2014, 06:27:26 PM

Tals

• Sailor
    • View Profile
    • dA
To answer the question that was originally posed, no, I am not intimidated at all. I can't speak from everyone, naturally, but I think that I can go to Five or Dae with any idea that I have for the story. If they like it, excellent. If they feel that it won't work with the rest of the story then that's okay too, because (and this is where I respectfully disagree with Mar) in a collaborative writing project, yes everyone is allowed to have imput, but at the same time someone does have to act as overseer and editor, otherwise you get a clusterfuck.

About all the other stuff  --  of which I am aware of,  which is actually very little, my opinions have been posted in the other threads on this forum, so I won't repeat them here.
av made for me by Fiona Marchbank

« Reply #5 » Published on:February 12, 2014, 07:42:29 PM

Mar

• Snot rag
    • View Profile
I believe the overseer should be a set of rules--not the admins themselves. Sites generally run better when all must  follow a code, rather than a person.  People make mistakes.  People aren't perfect.  For example, yes, Daenelia and Five run this site--but who the site is run should be up to the members.  Only good things can come from this.  We have great minds on this site.  What is the good enough reasoning that the site should be mainly run by Dae and Five?  Other than them owning it, I mean.  This place could be so much better if it was more of a democracy rather than this.  Why?  More interesting story lines.  With the same people choosing each place, it limits the possibilities of creativity.

Now, re-examining if i want to stay with you.  Of course I do.  If I didn't, I would bother writing this.

There are certain things that you do wrong, Dae, that affect the site as well as the people in it.  All issues that I have seen on this site started with you.  That means that things need to change.

This is our site.  Not only yours.  Yes you give us enjoyment--but we would enjoy it so much more if you gave the reigns to a system, rather than a person.

« Reply #6 » Published on:February 12, 2014, 08:14:39 PM

Daenelia

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Daenelia.com
Mar, I think we have come to the same conclusion right?

You love the site, you love the plot, but you don't like how we run the site.

Tough :) We've run the site this way, as intended, from the start and I assumed people who joined understood and were behind that.

If you're not, then you need to do the right thing.

« Reply #7 » Published on:February 12, 2014, 08:33:45 PM

Five

• Maker of Tea, Eater of Cakes
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Mar, i'm very glad you're being open and honest with us.  But we have to be open and honest as well.  Steamhawke is not the site you want it to be, and it won't cater to the style that you want.  If you disagree with the mission statement then this is not the site for you.

« Reply #8 » Published on:February 12, 2014, 08:50:57 PM

Daenelia

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Daenelia.com
As for a system run game, I don't feel like doing that at all. If I wanted that, I would have joined a regular rp forum.

A system run site is more constricting and more work. You need lots of rules, you need to keep checking if they are followed and everything is fair, you have to limit people when they want to go outside that system.

Luckily there are plenty of other sites out there that are run like that, so people who don't like how we (as a collective) do things here, can easily get their jollies off somewhere else.

« Reply #9 » Published on:February 13, 2014, 05:56:39 AM

Mar

• Snot rag
    • View Profile
I am not discussing mission statements or going to different sites.  I want to talk about this one.  A system run site makes sure everyone is happy.  if that system were to be implemented here, the rues with RP would be less constricting, as you don't want that. 

Whether or not the site is for me, such a topic can be discussed elsewhere.  Here, I want to note how poorly certain things were handled, and how that correlated directly with the fact that you wanted to be in control for he flow of this site.  You put yourselves and your wants before those of the members, and that is a problem.  No matter what you say here, I can guarantee that in the future, no matter what, no one will be happy with the limits of governance over the plot.  Now, do not reply with "there are other sites."  We are discussing an issue.  Stick with it.  Tell me why your way of running this site is better. 

This is a debate.  You wanted communication, so here it is.

I also just saw that Vertigo is leaving.  Daenelia, I suggest you say sorry to her, as you caused this.  This whole post is connected to the fact that people are leaving because of your way of running this site--and how people don't like it.  Keep this up, and it will only be you and Five.  Boredom and frustration would ensue.

Not once have I seen you apologize to Vertigo, or Elena.  You pushed away some of the best writers, and unless you change your attitude.  Your insistence on "my way or the highway" has hurt Steamhawke.  My Steamhawke.  Vertigo's Steamhawke.  Elena's Steamhawke.  Your Steamhawke.  Five's Steamhawke.

Now, reply to what I wrote, and don't change the subject. 

This is communication.  From a member of this site.

« Reply #10 » Published on:February 13, 2014, 08:05:46 AM

Daenelia

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Daenelia.com
You clearly demonstrate not reading what we told you. That certainly makes things easier.

edit. :) writing with Five is never ever boring, ever. I appreciate your concern, but my man is keeping me happy in every way. We do have a site where it s just us writing, though. Steamhawke is not that site.

As for not changing the suject, I ask you to really read my replies, Five's, and try to read this site's mission statement. All your concerns are adrssed there. I am not going to repeat myself.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 08:13:56 AM by Daenelia »

« Reply #11 » Published on:February 13, 2014, 09:33:11 AM

Mar

• Snot rag
    • View Profile
I have no interest in your private life--nor was I referring to it earlier.  That is none of my business.  I was talking about boredom and frustration for the members.

Also, I did read your replies, and the message statement.  I replied to you in every way.

I am not going to repeat myself.

You are blocking the communication here.  I don't want you to repeat yourself.  I want you to address my concerns.  As an admin, I expect you to address the issues I have brought forth.

I am not discussing mission statements or going to different sites.  I want to talk about this one.  A system run site makes sure everyone is happy.  if that system were to be implemented here, the rues with RP would be less constricting, as you don't want that. 

Whether or not the site is for me, such a topic can be discussed elsewhere.  Here, I want to note how poorly certain things were handled, and how that correlated directly with the fact that you wanted to be in control for he flow of this site.  You put yourselves and your wants before those of the members, and that is a problem.  No matter what you say here, I can guarantee that in the future, no matter what, no one will be happy with the limits of governance over the plot.  Now, do not reply with "there are other sites."  We are discussing an issue.  Stick with it.  Tell me why your way of running this site is better. 

This is a debate.  You wanted communication, so here it is.

I also just saw that Vertigo is leaving.  Daenelia, I suggest you say sorry to her, as you caused this.  This whole post is connected to the fact that people are leaving because of your way of running this site--and how people don't like it.  Keep this up, and it will only be you and Five.  Boredom and frustration would ensue.

Not once have I seen you apologize to Vertigo, or Elena.  You pushed away some of the best writers, and unless you change your attitude.  Your insistence on "my way or the highway" has hurt Steamhawke.  My Steamhawke.  Vertigo's Steamhawke.  Elena's Steamhawke.  Your Steamhawke.  Five's Steamhawke.

Now, reply to what I wrote, and don't change the subject. 

This is communication.  From a member of this site.

What would you like me to comment on in terms of your points?  (That I didn't already.)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 09:43:26 AM by Mar »

« Reply #12 » Published on:February 13, 2014, 09:58:37 AM

Daenelia

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Daenelia.com
"A system run site makes sure everyone is happy.  if that system were to be implemented here, the rues with RP would be less constricting, as you don't want that."

As for a system run game, I don't feel like doing that at all. If I wanted that, I would have joined a regular rp forum.

A system run site is more constricting and more work. You need lots of rules, you need to keep checking if they are followed and everything is fair, you have to limit people when they want to go outside that system.

"I also just saw that Vertigo is leaving.  Daenelia, I suggest you say sorry to her, as you caused this."
"Your insistence on "my way or the highway" has hurt Steamhawke."

Our preference is to have a small group of writers that "get it" than a chaotic mass of people taking the story off in a hundred different directions.

Five and Daenelia are the story leaders. We make balanced decisions for the good of the story and of the Steamhawke website. The ongoing story is a collaboration but the way Steamhawke is run is not collaborative, and the owners of the site have the ultimate say.

Now see what you did. You made me copy+paste.

« Reply #13 » Published on:February 13, 2014, 10:17:07 AM

Mar

• Snot rag
    • View Profile
What do you mean by "going outside the system?"  When I speak of a system, I talk of a set of rules that relate primary to the dealings of OOC issues.

As for your justification for putting own the "system", it sounds like laziness.  I am speaking about fixing issues, and you don't want to do it because it is too much work?  It is sort of like copy +pasting instead of answering.

A set of rules makes sure everyone is happy.  The current system of this site puts your happiness before that of the members.

There is no reason for you and Five to be the only story leaders.  Once again, your insistence of this has caused issues with other members, Dae.  People have left because of this.  Great ideas were thrown away because you did not like them.

« Reply #14 » Published on:February 13, 2014, 10:23:09 AM

Daenelia

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Daenelia.com
"There is no reason for you and Five to be the only story leaders. "

Then I suggest you go somewhere where we are not the only story leaders.