Steamhawke

Hello Guest

Login with username, password and session.

Author Topic: The impact of the disappearance of parts of Terra  

Topic Original "No modification"
So, what do you think may have changed the course of history after 1640 when for some reason (we dont know yet, could discuss this when it becomes necessary to find out) Africa and South-America just... vanished?

We know that the areas are not accessible, not by land, air or sea.

At that point there were of course trade routes and people moving about, and Faizel for instance is one of those who originated in North Africa, but has been living somewhere else for generations now.

The name 'Quazlatah' does refer to some South American stuff, which is why the treasure is so incrediby rare: the stolen treasures from South America are at this point very unique.

But there are many things that would have affected Terra, to really distinguish it from the world and history as we know it.

Would love to hear points if view on that.

Daenelia

• Captain of the Steamhawke
  • Administrator
Information topic
  • Date: 23/01/14
  • Time: 10:17 AM
  • Number of visits: 1487
  • Number of Replies: 3
  • Topic Approved: Yes
  • Topic Sticky: No
  • Topic Locked: No
  • Poll: No

Re: The impact of the disappearance of parts of Terra

« Reply #1 » Published on:February 05, 2014, 08:59:50 PM

Tals

• Sailor
    • View Profile
    • dA
The biggest thing I can think of is that by the time of Terra's equivalent of the slave trade years, there is neither no Africa or South America, meaning that if there was ever a slave trade at all, they either had to find some other population(s) to enslave, or else they've had to come up with some other way of creating a cheap labor force (origins of the Church of the Machine, maybe?)

From a cultural standpoint, I'd think that there'd be remaining Africans and South Americans that would be content to assimilate with the other populations, but there might also be isolated groups of survivors that would be extremely endogamous because preservation and such.
av made for me by Fiona Marchbank

« Reply #2 » Published on:February 05, 2014, 09:47:13 PM

Five

• Maker of Tea, Eater of Cakes
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
That's pretty much correct, the concept of the slave trade doesn't really exist in Terra.

« Reply #3 » Published on:February 06, 2014, 08:19:26 AM

Daenelia

• Captain of the Steamhawke
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Daenelia.com
I certainly considered african and south american people living somewhere. I think coming across a tribe of south americans who have isolated themselves, on an island perhaps, would be intersting. As well as maybe a group from an african background looking for a place to call home, or for a way to bring Africa back.

the fact that these continents disappeared gives us freedom to determine their own influence on this. Maybe Africa was a hub of knowledge about alchemy and dextrocite.

My avatar was drawn by Pyrochan, as commissioned by me