Steamhawke

Hello Guest

Login with username, password and session.

Poll

What kind of tree?

Real
1 (33.3%)
Fake
1 (33.3%)
'Alternative'
0 (0%)
Bah Humbug, none
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: January 03, 2014, 09:54:05 AM

Author Topic: Trees of the festive kind  

Topic Original "No modification"
Last year we had no tree, the year before we had a real tree, and before that an aging fake tree.

This year we are splurging on a new fake tree. What I loved about the real tree was the smell. But our fake tree lastes us 10 years, and that means 10 trees did not need to be cut down. I just find it odd that once a year people cut down trees to decorate their living room with when you can just as easy use a well produced, long lasting fake tree.

Plus fake trees are easier to decorate. And no needles or left over tree to get rid off in Januray. Also, how long do you keep your decorations up, anyway? I usually get rid of the tree in the weekend after new years.

Daenelia

• Captain of the Steamhawke
  • Administrator
Information topic
  • Date: 13/12/13
  • Time: 09:54 AM
  • Number of visits: 1676
  • Number of Replies: 5
  • Topic Approved: Yes
  • Topic Sticky: No
  • Topic Locked: No
  • Poll: Yes

Re: Trees of the festive kind

« Reply #1 » Published on:December 14, 2013, 04:44:50 PM

Elena

• Sailor
  • a seadog looking for crewmates
    • View Profile
    • Before the Mast
I have fake trees for 20+ years. I like them more. If I want to smell like pine, I buy a little Christmas crown to put on the table as centerpiece.

I adorn the tree around 20-th of December, maybe 1-2 days earlier, and I put off the decorations on 7-th of January or the week-end afterwards if too busy that day. My mother, though, loves keeping it more in January, until the 15-th or a bit more.

« Reply #2 » Published on:December 14, 2013, 05:45:27 PM

Five

• Maker of Tea, Eater of Cakes
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
So we got a new fake tree, but it's really massive.  "It's going to look bigger when we get it home" I had said while we were in the shop, and it did.

It won't be long before one of the cats pulls it over.

« Reply #3 » Published on:December 14, 2013, 10:46:22 PM

Tals

• Sailor
    • View Profile
    • dA
We do a real tree. We used to do fake, but our fake tree died (seriously) and when we were going to buy a replacement, my stepdad said that he preferred real trees, so that's what we've had ever since.

It usually goes up the day after Thanksgiving. My mother always wants to take it down the day after Christmas, but the rest of us are all like, 'the holidays don't technically end until January 6'. We usually end up taking them down sometime around New Year's...ish.
av made for me by Fiona Marchbank

« Reply #4 » Published on:December 18, 2013, 12:03:44 PM

Vertigo

• Snot rag
  • Confused and Weary Technology Scout
    • View Profile

Hi there, I don't celebrate Christmas. No tree, no presents, sometimes there is a big dinner that day like Thanksgiving, though sometimes that's done on Winter Solstice. It just depends on mood there.

I found myself miserable this time of year starting at age seven or so. It was in full force at age eight, that I remember. Just completely related to Charlie Brown on that. Finally at age twelve I turned to my mom and said, "I've figured out I'm not Christian. Don't buy any presents for me. You don't have to take out the tree. I don't want to participate anymore."

My mom then told me how relieved she was about that because she felt similar over the past few years. Since she has a back injury it was just too much work to rearrange our small living room to make room for the tree and search the garage for the ornaments.

Growing up I remember two trees. We only did two. The one for the majority of my youth was this big one that had this fake snow all over it. It just left a mess all over the place once it had to be moved. It was also a solid one piece. The other one was assembled in parts and the branches had hooks that you used to put them in. If I remember correctly it also turned, so you could put ornaments on and just turn it to another area.

Outside of a few fleeting moments here and there of putting on ornaments, seeing the with them, opening presents, I just remember feeling horrible. I used to dance to Christmas songs all the time on cassette except during Christmas because it felt strange. Just never connected to the holiday. I like it more now that I opted out.

Oh and when we tried the not celebrating when I was twelve, it was the best I felt during that time of year  that I could remember. My mom felt the same, so we just went on not celebrating. Being the only child to a single mom has it's advantages.

So for those of you who celebrate, I hope you guys enjoy as much as I enjoy not celebrating.

« Reply #5 » Published on:December 18, 2013, 12:30:55 PM

Daenelia

• Captain of the Steamhawke
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Daenelia.com
Didnt realise Christmas gifts had anything to do with christianity :S

I have to say, christmas is just an excuse to give gifts we already bought anyway :D It is not a celebration of anything for me. Certainly nothing christian.

I just really enjoy doing something festive in the darkest days of the winter. Makes me feel a lot happier. And that is what counts: doing what makes you happy.
My avatar was drawn by Pyrochan, as commissioned by me