Steamhawke

Hello Guest

Login with username, password and session.

Author Topic: Chapter 9: Steam City  

Topic Original "No modification"
You can use this thread for general discussion for Chapter 9: Steam City.

Five

• Maker of Tea, Eater of Cakes
  • Administrator
Information topic
  • Date: 28/09/13
  • Time: 09:42 PM
  • Number of visits: 4633
  • Number of Replies: 20
  • Topic Approved: Yes
  • Topic Sticky: No
  • Topic Locked: No
  • Poll: No

Re: Chapter 9: Steam City

« Reply #1 » Published on:October 16, 2013, 07:33:50 PM

Tals

• Sailor
    • View Profile
    • dA
Has it been set IC how long we're planning to stay in Kanesville? I noticed in-game that we're roughly on day three, was just curious.

Also, is it safe to assume that Kevin being TKO'd is common knowledge? If so, would something akin to damnatio memoriae be at play?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 08:46:23 PM by Tals »
av made for me by Fiona Marchbank

« Reply #2 » Published on:October 16, 2013, 09:31:23 PM

Five

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Like with most chapters there's no rush at all.  Daenelia (the character)'s plan is to get train tickets and get going, but has discovered that the train station is only open twice a week.  There could be all kinds of obstacles in the way of getting tickets or getting on the train.  Maybe the weekly train won't even stop at Kanesville for some reason.

It hasn't been written who's found out about the execution.  Therefore it's up to you to decide, or whoever writes about it next.  Tals could hear about it during the story, or establish that she knows about it already.  And after looking it up on Wikipedia, I'd say that damnatio memoriae is not appropriate.  The captain would want people to remember the message that she is in charge.

« Reply #3 » Published on:October 16, 2013, 09:41:59 PM

Five

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Maybe the weekly train won't even stop at Kanesville for some reason.

Idea:
There is one train a week going east (out across country) and one train a week going west (towards the rich coast).  The reason that the train station is closed most of the time is due to the martial law and the general sense of paranoia that the military has.

I imagine the giant steam train carries food supplies westwards from more fertile countryside.  The closer you get to the coast, the bigger the cities, and so you need this kind of food supply chain.

What if there is an increasing shortage of food due to certain winged people who have been stripping the farms bare, and so there isn't enough food for everyone.  The coastal cities would take priority over places like Kanesville, and so the train goes right by instead of stopping and possibly causing a riot when the locals realise no food is being unloaded. 

« Reply #4 » Published on:October 16, 2013, 11:19:53 PM

Mar

• First Mate of the Steamhawke
  • Snot rag
    • View Profile
Beautiful.  I love the idea.

« Reply #5 » Published on:October 17, 2013, 05:56:37 PM

Tals

• Sailor
    • View Profile
    • dA
Thanks! I figured as much, but thought I'd better ask anyway =D

I'm with Mar, that idea is awesome! Between the train going by and people getting murdered would some freaked out Kanesville citizens make.

« Reply #6 » Published on:October 28, 2013, 06:24:21 PM

Tals

• Sailor
    • View Profile
    • dA
Timeline to me looks something like this:

Day 1
• Bunkbeds with Cobwebs -- crew arrives in Kanesville, possibly morning/afternoon
• We’ll See About That -- Maraea jars with Jefferson
• Second Rate First Mate -- Jefferson resigns
• Whoever Fits the Hat -- Daenelia looks for a new first mate
• The Sights -- evening -- Perrys stay at that creepy house
• Let’s Dance -- evening -- Melisande, Chago, and Leftheris go out
• Supplying the Beast -- Melisande gets back to the dorm and gives Carol new weapons
• This One’s For the Girls -- evening -- Daenelia hires Maraea as first mate

Day 2
• All For A Song --- Melisande, Chago, Letheris go out, taking Faizel with
• The Devil’s Pillow -- Faizel goes back to the dorms and helps Erm bootleg
• The Song Starts Taking Shape -- Melisande, Chago, and Giselle work on a song; Giselle mentions going on a date
• Moving Up the Roster -- Maraea reports new status to Kevin
• Council Adjourned -- Kevin is offed
• Beggars Can’t be Choosers -- Faizel meets Every; Every gets hired
• Ineffable Incipience -- Melisande and Maraea talk.
• Meeting Somewhere Somehow -- Daenelia talks to Ashrieda and Shanen; mentions needing to get to the train station before it opens
• The True Price -- Daenelia detours to talk to Maraea
• Trains -- Daenelia buys tickets
• Death’s Prayer -- Giselle and her boo get offed.

Day 3
• Breaking News -- crew finds out about the murders in the papers
• Doctor, is that you? -- Daenelia sees Yorvlad; mentions that it’s getting late.

I just need to know if I have this right? And that means that current posts (other than flashbacks) should take place after Day 3, Evening, right?

Also, I made a timeline booboo myself -- Every mentions having seen Faizel sell the horses when they were actually sold sometime on Day One (We'll See About That). Unless Every has been tailing Faizel for two days, which would mean that she saw him dump Kevin's body which would mean that she's crazy for going along with someone who she just saw dump a body...so I'll just edit the bit about the horses out.

« Reply #7 » Published on:October 28, 2013, 07:17:37 PM

Daenelia

• Captain of the Steamhawke
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Daenelia.com
Yup. Next post should take place at night or the next day, Day 4.
My avatar was drawn by Pyrochan, as commissioned by me

« Reply #8 » Published on:October 28, 2013, 08:32:57 PM

Vertigo

• Snot rag
  • Confused and Weary Technology Scout
    • View Profile

Tals, you're awesome! That's how the timeline worked in my mind. For some reason I just didn't see Dae's mention of it being later in the timeline and with the death being written out, it worked better having it be that evening. I'll have to be more careful in the future.

All right. If the next post has me in it, I'll make sure it's night or Day 4. Thanks Tals and Dae. I'll add that to the ooc post just in case.

« Reply #9 » Published on:November 05, 2013, 12:35:22 PM

Daenelia

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Daenelia.com
Guys, people, fellow writers, there is a map being made for Kanesville but we have so many locations now, that I want some input on where to place them.

The file can be found at the wiki: http://wiki.steamhawke.com/index.php/File:Kanesville_chapter9.png

The trainstation is kinda in the middle, tracks leading outwards. The factories and dormitories would be placed in the South/southwest, (I stuck Stackt Quarters on there as a nametag), and more middleclass houses in Heighton.

We need a place for the vaudeville theatre, pick a spot for the dormitory the crew ends up in and whatever else comes to mind. Just scribble on it in paint if you have to. I can edit it in in the original file.

« Reply #10 » Published on:November 06, 2013, 07:19:17 PM

Tals

• Sailor
    • View Profile
    • dA
Apologies for the lack of visual aids; *coughimatworkcough* and while I could have done it on my phone, I can't find my stylus.

Anyhoo! My thought is that the dormitories should probably be somewhere in the southwest, near Stacks Quarter -- so that they blend in but are still pretty secluded. If that makes any sense at all.

And then is that orange street that bisects the train tracks the main street? Vendors maybe should set up shop along there, or even on one of those side streets off that street; Daenelia mentions that she needs to hurry to get to the train station so the vendors should be a little ways off from the train station.

Vaudeville maybe should be on that main drag as well, relatively close to the dorms.

That’s all I can remember for now without rereading the chapter again.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 07:31:46 PM by Tals »

« Reply #11 » Published on:November 06, 2013, 09:16:25 PM

Vertigo

• Snot rag
    • View Profile

Going off of Tals' comments and a tiny bit of my own thoughts, I just drew quick and dirty on the map with Photoshop. I was thinking the dormitories would be the big building around the gray roads in that circle. I don't have anymore thoughts at the moment as I have to go run out. I have a bus to catch!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/speedbuggs/10713362875/

« Reply #12 » Published on:November 07, 2013, 11:04:04 AM

Daenelia

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Daenelia.com
Makes sense!

Vertigo, you have photoshop too, right? I will mail you the psd template for the maps, so you can work on your own maps of areas as well, provided we can all give feedback on stuff. Nothing wrong with giving each map a disctinct different look and feel though. I even experimented with 3d-feel maps. Nothing concrete there yet.

I'll add in the dormitory placement and vaudeville, and the food stalls/restaurants as suggested. And the Blue Lagoon hotel needs a place, probably closish to the theatre.

Again, it isnt a precise work, for our purposes we need to give some leeway and freedom to place stuff as needed in the story. Nothing to tie us down too much.

« Reply #13 » Published on:November 08, 2013, 02:58:53 AM

Vertigo

• Snot rag
    • View Profile

Which version do you have, Dae? I've got Photoshop CS6 Extended. At this moment I can't really spend much time on that, but I'm interested. 3D feel maps? How did you go about that? I could do that pretty easily using models.

Yes, since it's so early in the chapter a lot of things might come up. Agreed there.

« Reply #14 » Published on:November 08, 2013, 05:49:34 AM

Hyren

• Master of All the Words
  • Snot rag
    • View Profile
I HAVE A DECADE OLD COPY OF PHOTOSHOP 7.0