Steamhawke

Hello Guest

Login with username, password and session.

Author Topic: Alright then: who would your 'play-by' be?  

Topic Original "No modification"
Not many characters on Steamhawke have photographs as their character image. So we can play a little game... who would the 'play by' be, the actor or actress who represents your character (or someone else's) best in your opinion?

Basically just the look, as close as you can get it. For elphins, kitlings and icari we'll just have to imagine their prosthetic make up :P

Anyone wanna start?

Daenelia

• Captain of the Steamhawke
  • Administrator
Information topic
  • Date: 09/09/13
  • Time: 02:48 PM
  • Number of visits: 7322
  • Number of Replies: 13
  • Topic Approved: Yes
  • Topic Sticky: No
  • Topic Locked: No
  • Poll: No

Re: Alright then: who would your 'play-by' be?

« Reply #1 » Published on:September 09, 2013, 04:52:08 PM

Elena

• Sailor
  • a seadog looking for crewmates
    • View Profile
    • Before the Mast
Chago's is Fernando Colunga in "Pasion".

I know Miyra's is Shailene Woodley and Melisande's Barbara Stanwick, they told me.

« Reply #2 » Published on:September 09, 2013, 06:45:48 PM

Tals

• Sailor
    • View Profile
    • dA
The closest that comes to mental!Ashrieda is Cora Emmanuel...for the moment. I change playbys on the regular, mostly because I always find something glaringly wrong.

I always thought of Mei-Xiu as Du Juan for some reason.
av made for me by Fiona Marchbank

« Reply #3 » Published on:September 09, 2013, 07:34:04 PM

Elena

• Sailor
    • View Profile
    • Before the Mast
Yes, I think they match!

« Reply #4 » Published on:September 09, 2013, 07:57:22 PM

Daenelia

• Captain of the Steamhawke
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Daenelia.com
I think that is a great image for Mei-Xiu. Maybe if Pirate Girl ever gets back, we can use that image for her, somehow.

When I commissioned Daenelia's drawing, sorry: digital painting, I gave Fiona 2 faces: Sophia Loren and Raquel Welch (who do not look anything alike, I think). The funny thing is, especially in the 2nd image, Daenelia looks like my Dutch schoolfriend. I never stated Daenelia's nationality, but she really does look Dutch in her images.

... I just never found an image to suit her.
My avatar was drawn by Pyrochan, as commissioned by me

« Reply #5 » Published on:September 09, 2013, 08:44:40 PM

Elena

• Sailor
    • View Profile
    • Before the Mast
Actually I think Raquel Welch and Sophia Loren have something in common... and I know the pictures which are rather similar. I love Raquel Welch, and I am glad that I can imagine Dae this way!

Drawings... don't make it for me much. I mean, they are good for illustrations/ signatures, but not as avatars. I can't really imagine a character like a drawing, only like a person.

« Reply #6 » Published on:September 11, 2013, 10:23:06 PM

Tals

• Sailor
    • View Profile
    • dA
See, I can imagine them as people, but not as famous people -- at least not in the Hollywood sense. Like, having seen Dae's sketch of Jefferson, I now imagine him as Ulysses S. Grant...but I doubt Grant's going to be playing in any movies anytime soon XD

Last night I had to work the late shift and it was dead as a doornail, so I wasted time trying to find people that match my mental image of various NPCs.

« Reply #7 » Published on:September 12, 2013, 04:16:05 PM

Elena

• Sailor
    • View Profile
    • Before the Mast
See, I can imagine them as people, but not as famous people -- at least not in the Hollywood sense. Like, having seen Dae's sketch of Jefferson, I now imagine him as Ulysses S. Grant...but I doubt Grant's going to be playing in any movies anytime soon XD,

Actually I bet he had been portrayed in a movie or serial or another... And yes, I am imagining people looking specifically not the actor in general, but actor x in y movie.

My Maribel, the innkeeper I have on the other site, is not Sarita Montiel in general. Is "Carmen, la de Ronda". My pirate captain is Eduardo Palomo in "Corazon Salvaje", not in another movie. My sailing master is Alain Delon in "Rocco and his brothers". Because the certain look, the certain personality, is there, in that movie, not in another. I had once, on a short-lived forum, Alain Delon in "Il Gattopardo". But in that case, he was a Mafia associate, an apothecary and poison man. Different story, different personality, even if the first name the same.

And given that I came with a new NPC (and another one is in the making), it's JD Kelleher for the quartermaster (two photosets uploaded in DeviantArt, as I couldn't find the place to upload a photo for him on the bio) and Nikos Xilouris for the master gunner (DeviantArt photosets will come soon).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 07:08:34 PM by Elena »

« Reply #8 » Published on:September 13, 2013, 12:01:01 AM

Vertigo

• Snot rag
  • Confused and Weary Technology Scout
    • View Profile
I'll second Elena on people only working in certain movies, time frames, or just certain photos when it comes to playbys.

Barbara Stanwyck only works for two thirds of Ball Of Fire, a part of The Lady Eve (even then the bangs are now curly there), and some photoshoots. Outside of that, some pictures from Union Pacific, Annie Oakley, Lady Of Burlesque, and a mystery film work. The problem is Barbara was 34 for Ball Of Fire and The Lady Eve, so depending on lighting and what have you she sometimes looks too old in some pictures. Annie Oakley was done when she was a more correct 28 (Melisande is 27), but next to the other pictures often looks too young. Lady Of Burlesque was done when she was 36 and outside of a few pictures here and there looks too old. Also Barbara has a different body type than Melisande, so tight fitting or revealing clothing doesn't work very well unless I chop it out.

It also means for any photo collage stuff I'd want to do with Elena's Chago, I have to grayscale him, since the vast majority of photos of Barbara from that time are in black and white, which is no problem with Photoshop. In some ways it works better that way because how many Victorian era photos can you find that are in color? I have something I'm working on there, but I'm not sure if it will be done before I leave.

Melisande looking like she does is mostly because Barbara's haunted gaze in the photo on the site and to a lesser degree on my avatar. The coloring on my avatar is pretty accurate on how I see her looking like to the point I think my jaw dropped. The amusing thing, someone colored the black and white version of the photo for it, because pictures from the actual photoshoot it's all different.

Color avatar: http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f1/58/a2/f158a264dae40ac36e855172cf62ae67.jpg

Photoshoot: http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/1-ball-of-fire-barbara-stanwyck-1941-everett.jpg

As Pauline: http://i2.listal.com/image/4957086/600full-barbara-stanwyck.jpg

Oddly enough, I already have playbys for my kitchen boy, Tulegen and navigator Orsola Padovano. Tulegen is a bit off because he should have a slave collar. I intend on him being a runaway slave. He just turned 14. Amusingly enough, he's also Asian. I thought of him before it was decided Akito would do some chef duties along with McGinty. Trying to find an even somewhat tan Asian boy that I could use for potentially more than one picture was surprisingly difficult.

Tulegen is Yuya Yagira, a Japanese actor in the movie Nobody Knows. He played a 12 year old, but was 14 at the time. He might be changed if someone could find me a boy who's tanner that I could for more than one image.  http://www.arthouse.ru/img/films/NBDKNOWS/yuya_yagira_1-large.jpg

I'm kicking it old school for Orsola. She's an Italian movie star from the silent era, Marcella Albani. Orsola is from Viteliu (Italy), her mother is from Anatolia (think Israel/Palestine/Syria/part of Turkey), and she's a secular Jew. Unlike with Melisande who I've found her depiction to be fairly touchy, or Tulegen who is pretty limited, just about every photo I've found of Marcella, I go, yeah that's her.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mamr8iaoAE1r2htqdo1_500.jpg

I need to write up their bios for approval, along with the wiki entry for Viteliu, and to talk to Five about that little map project, but that will all have to wait for when I get back.

Hey, Jefferson does look a lot like Grant! There have been shows and movies of actors playing him. Though not as much as one might think because of how polarizing he is. One is Harry Bulkeley for a PBS production.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ilczmsar/Grant01.jpg
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2483064832/nm2216811

You could also use Kevin Kline in Wild Wild West.
http://ilarge.listal.com/image/2356190/968full-wild-wild-west-screenshot.jpg
http://images5.fanpop.com/image/polls/956000/956979_1329707577640_full.jpg
http://focusfeaturesmedia.com/uploads/image/mediafile/1354732729-5fd800fdddb58febf7cb5b3b7facd063/x950.jpg

The images you came up with for the various npcs are pretty interesting, Tals. I'll post my thoughts on those later.

« Reply #9 » Published on:September 13, 2013, 02:56:30 AM

Tals

• Sailor
    • View Profile
    • dA
That's pretty much the way it is with almost all of my characters -- that is, that only certain photos of a given person work -- with only one or two exceptions. It makes me feel better that I'm not the only one that thinks that way; I thought I was just being nitpicky. It's the same way with Ashrieda too: This is Ashrieda, but this is not.

Cora Emmanuel is 19 -- a smidge too young, but I'll just use the excuse that somehow despite all that hard pirate living Ashrieda looks young for her age. Also, Cora = tall and lanky; Ashrieda = short and sturdy, so if I use photos, it's going to be cropped head and shoulder ones. :D

I forgot about Every, my NPC! I created her with Bella Thorne in mind, but now she looks like a darker haired Chloe Grace Moretz. Thorne is a little too traditionally pretty for Every, I think.

« Reply #10 » Published on:January 15, 2014, 11:25:51 PM

Tals

• Sailor
    • View Profile
    • dA
Iím committing two cardinal forum sins: necro-posting and double-posting, because I JUST WANT TO WATCH THE WORLD BURN.

Remember when I said I constantly change play-bys? Well, when I got my picture from Fiona, I didnít include Cora Emmanuel at all in my references, which turned out awesomely. So now I think she looks like the love child of M.I.A. and Vashtie Kola. Iíve been trying to think of someone who fits my mental image of McGinty. Maybe McGinty is just McGinty to me :)

« Reply #11 » Published on:January 16, 2014, 08:03:59 PM

Five

• Maker of Tea, Eater of Cakes
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Colton is somewhere between Daniel Craig, Don Johnson, Michael Nader and..uhh... Harry H Corbett

Yes, they are all quite different-looking but they would also make good cowboys (and in two cases, did).
I wanted Colton to be the kind of guy with nothing feminine in his looks whatsoever.

Funny thing is that someone looked at Colton's bio pic and said he looked like Alan Rickman. What a cynical cowboy he'd make.

« Reply #12 » Published on:January 16, 2014, 08:53:35 PM

Hyren

• Master of All the Words
  • Snot rag
    • View Profile
http://imgur.com/a/NpCq1

Yes, it's anime. No, I don't care. No, the colors aren't right. Use your imagination.

Edit - I should point out I'm actually not a fan of play-bys. I don't mind if other people use them, since that's their business, but personally I try to avoid it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 09:01:50 PM by Hyren »

« Reply #13 » Published on:January 17, 2014, 07:20:43 PM

Five

• Maker of Tea, Eater of Cakes
  • Administrator
    • View Profile