Steamhawke

Hello Guest

Login with username, password and session.

Author Topic: Registered partnership  

Topic Original "No modification"
A couple of weeks from now Daenelia and I will be in a Registered Partnership.  In the Netherlands this is legally equivalent to marriage, so I can kind of start calling her my wife.

It's pretty funny, because these kind of civil partnerships were originally created to provide legal recognition of same-sex relationships, but then quickly afterwards the Dutch passed a law to equalise all kinds of legal relationships for everyone.  You can't stop same-sex couples marrying.  But at the same time, you can't stop opposite-sex couples from entering a registered partnership.

I guess we're just gay for each other.

Five

• Maker of Tea, Eater of Cakes
  • Administrator
Information topic
  • Date: 07/09/13
  • Time: 07:52 PM
  • Number of visits: 1932
  • Number of Replies: 8
  • Topic Approved: Yes
  • Topic Sticky: No
  • Topic Locked: No
  • Poll: No

Re: Registered partnership

« Reply #1 » Published on:September 07, 2013, 07:59:34 PM

Daenelia

• Captain of the Steamhawke
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Daenelia.com
I like how it emphasises that whatever the combination is, all couples are treated equal. We can choose to be married or registered partners, and it doesnt mean we're straight or gay, one way or another. Of course, people are going to assume one way or another. Which is fun too :)

It does clear up a lot of things, and at least has the law recognise that we mean to take care of each other and plan to be together long term.

... oh, we are such romantics.

(Civil servan: "Shall I take a photograph of the two of you signing the intent for registered partnership form?"
Me: "No. Why?"
Him: "splutter splutter, because it is a once in a lifetime moment and you might want to record it for posterity blahblah."
Me: "No thanks, we're not that romantic."

No picture was taken.)
My avatar was drawn by Pyrochan, as commissioned by me

« Reply #2 » Published on:September 08, 2013, 08:20:02 AM

Elena

• Sailor
  • a seadog looking for crewmates
    • View Profile
    • Before the Mast
Not sure which is the difference between a registered partnership and a civil marriage. It's both about signing a contract, isn't it?

I mean, I understand that some people are not religious and don't care for a religious wedding. But if they want to be together "administratively/ legally"... which difference is between these two formalities? My civil marriage was the same way - go to the CityHall, listen to the official reading the code of family rights, ask if we want to get married, answering yes, signing the register... and receiving congratulations. 10 minutes all.

« Reply #3 » Published on:September 08, 2013, 12:25:23 PM

Daenelia

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Daenelia.com
Just a wedding in a church doesnt count in The Netherlands. A marriage is only a legal one if it is what you call a civil wedding. You can have an additional church ceremony, though. I think we can even have one for our registered partneship, if we desire and find the right church. just added costs and time.

a civil wedding can be anything youlike, short 10 minute signing or full ceremony with personal speech and tons of guests.

we just want to be legally recognised as esch others partner. this option is equal to marriage, with one exception, regarding kids. we dont have em, dont plan to have em, so registered partneship is our choice. the main thing is, we get all the benefits married couples get, as well as legalise our rights and obligations. In practical terms, nothing changes. i keep my own name, so does Five. we already share costs of living. This just helps make clear our status to each other.

like, pensions, healthcare decisions when one is in coma, stuff like that.

marriage may be a romantic ideal to some. but ut really is just a legal practicallity when you get down to it. it isnt a magic formula to make people love each other for ever or something :p

« Reply #4 » Published on:September 08, 2013, 01:14:16 PM

Elena

• Sailor
    • View Profile
    • Before the Mast
In my country, the civil marriage is the same - one can't have a religious wedding without being legally married before. We had the civil marriage one week before the religious wedding. (And no matter how many guests come, it's still 10-15 minutes, then next couple at the CityHall anyway ;D).

We don't have a registered partnership here... and if it is the same as a civil marriage, then... which is the difference?

I mean, my mother and my father kept their names because this was what they wanted, and they were legally married. This option exists. I know this is for administrative purposes... but, again, so is civil marriage. My confusion is what;s the difference between a civil marriage and a registered partnership. What you explained to me looks like the civil marriage, so...

« Reply #5 » Published on:September 08, 2013, 01:33:34 PM

Five

• Maker of Tea, Eater of Cakes
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
"Registered partnership" and "Civil union" are the same thing.  But in this country "Marriage" is something slightly different.  There is one single administrative process where you state if you're going for a registered partership, or a marriage.  They have slightly different laws attached to them (related to children as Dae mentioned) and it is possible that the Dutch registered partnership will not be recognised if we move to a different country.  But you can always get married afterwards.

The big difference is that in some countries such as the Netherlands, either same-sex or different-sex couples have both options (civil union & marriage).  In the UK things are slightly different: different-sex couples can get married and gay people can have a civil union - and the rights are not exactly the same.   This is going to change due to the Marriage Act 2013 which will come into effect soon enough.

« Reply #6 » Published on:September 10, 2013, 12:43:56 PM

Daenelia

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Daenelia.com
Just a little over a week left.

I wonder if I should attempt a hen night :P

« Reply #7 » Published on:September 10, 2013, 02:45:01 PM

Elena

• Sailor
    • View Profile
    • Before the Mast
Why not? Any celebration opportunity is worth taking on!

« Reply #8 » Published on:February 17, 2014, 08:02:59 PM

Daenelia

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Daenelia.com
Well, we'll be celebrating in one month time :P

Or probabky forget it is our 6 month anniversary..