Steamhawke

Hello Guest

Login with username, password and session.

Poll

How do you experience working with Nova 2 for rping?

I enjoy it
3 (75%)
It's okay, I guess
1 (25%)
I don't like it
0 (0%)
I have a detailed opinion I shall post below
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Nova 2: your experiences  

Topic Original "No modification"
Steamhawke uses Nova 2 software for roleplay management. What are your thoughts on the system? What do you enjoy and what would you like to see different?

Daenelia

• Captain of the Steamhawke
  • Administrator
Information topic
  • Date: 26/08/13
  • Time: 02:18 PM
  • Number of visits: 1393
  • Number of Replies: 3
  • Topic Approved: Yes
  • Topic Sticky: No
  • Topic Locked: No
  • Poll: Yes

Re: Nova 2: your experiences

« Reply #1 » Published on:August 26, 2013, 07:40:33 PM

Elena

• Sailor
  • a seadog looking for crewmates
    • View Profile
    • Before the Mast
I voted "It's ok, I guess", because there are things I do like and things I don't like. But the fact that I am still here, overpassing the initial "one chapter" I had committed myself for :P proves the things I like are more than those I don't.

I like how it gets a better flow, how one can write together with the other and intercalate dialogue and things, how one can write for more characters if needed (but this latest I am doing on my forum too).

I don't like that, given that a post is a thread, one can see it only when completed, so while writing various posts in paralel one doesn't know about the other, to take it into account; this, corroborrated with the fact that liquid time isn't possible at all, it severely affects the story. In the end it's something like... who's the quickest posts first, and the others are punished to have their stories (which might be 3/4 written) change to happen in another moment... when it doesn't make sense anymore, or when they were designed to happen in a certain time. And have them changed to take into account all the posts written meanwhile.  This punishes people who write slower and gives them no incentive to write at all.

I think this system asks for people with the same steady pace in writing. (And even then, some posts are shorter, some posts are longer... it never can be a right proportion, and this affects when not only the story is linear, but no liquid time is accepted either).

« Reply #2 » Published on:August 27, 2013, 09:29:44 AM

Daenelia

• Captain of the Steamhawke
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Daenelia.com
I can address those issues of time not being fluid.

In the end it's something like... who's the quickest posts first, and the others are punished to have their stories (which might be 3/4 written) change to happen in another moment... when it doesn't make sense anymore, or when they were designed to happen in a certain time.

It should never feel as if it is a race or a competition. But I can understand what you're saying. There is however a simple solution.

Make your post 'loose' in time rather than fixed. That sounds contradictory to 'rigid time', but unless a specific time is needed, write the post so it can take place at any time. There are very few reasons to have a post play specifically at a certain time.

I can give you an example from that one post ;) Chago met John Colton in the streets quite a while after the bar brawl. No exact time was given so there was no rigid time frame in place. Yet about 7 posts later, we as readers are taken back in time to just after the brawl and join Chago and Miyra on a shopping trip. There was no reason why that shopping trip had to be set right after the brawl. In fact, it would have made sense in a timeline for Chago to meet Colton in the streets after the brawl, while he was on his way to pick up Miyra to go shopping.

And writing that into the post with Chago/Miyra would not even have been needed. In fact, very little had to be changed in that post at all. There was no reason to attach a timestamp to either of these posts.

So that is my solution: write posts that can stand on their own, in the setting, roughly in the timeline. Only change or add things if the previous post really influences that. Like, say if a post had happened in which Chago had been given a black eye, you could have gone over the post and mention the bruise. Or change the NPC used, if the one you picked had been killed off in the previous post.

But above all: communicating is important. Which is why the OOC planning post is for that: planning. If the post really had to take place right after the brawl, we all would have waited with posting anything! That isnt bad, we have had it before that we waited for one post, and then posted all the posts after that in a row!
My avatar was drawn by Pyrochan, as commissioned by me

« Reply #3 » Published on:August 30, 2013, 11:01:29 PM

Elena

• Sailor
  • a seadog looking for crewmates
    • View Profile
    • Before the Mast
Well, I give up explaining what I intended to explain initially. Maybe the net crash was for the better... All your arguments above are, for me, exactly arguments why a less rigid timeline is better (either by stating in the timeline what thread one comes after, or by having a board calendar with the succession of posts how it makes sense better in the story). Usually posts arenít stand alone, they are one after another in a story arc succession in order to make sense. But it is nothing wrong with them skipping a few posts (as long as it is written clearly after which thread it comes) - like in a book, where one might have first what díArtagnan has done in 2-3 chapters, then come back to what Athos was doing immediately after he had left díArtagnan, and it is everything all right. This way, the one who writes a bit slower than others (and his writing partners who had written in time, but who couldnít finish a post without the slower one) doesnít get punished and doesnít have to skip writing their stories just because others have posted quicker. And the reaction after the othersí posts can be another, subsequent post! Who says we have to cram everything in one?

Yes, communication is important. And when one part of the team doesn't communicate... things start becoming difficult. Waiting, not knowing what to do next, etc.

It helps also when we are discussing extensively. Not knowing the othersí intention for the story doesnít allow me to coordinate with them and exchange ideas. This is what I am lacking now and what makes me passive. I am not, normally, a passive person. On my site, where I do have the overview of the story, I am the most active. Well, maybe this is draining, as sometimes I have to be active also instead of those who arenít, but not as much as not to be able to come with a few ideas here too... if I knew where to integrate myself and what direction we are taking it. (And no, I don't mean knowing all details - an outline is flexible enough, having a mix of a few certainties and other twist possibilities).