Steamhawke

Hello Guest

Login with username, password and session.

Author Topic: Filling out the crew list  

Topic Original "No modification"
Five and I have been talking about this a little, and I guess it makes sense to put this to you guys as well.

We've never had a fully filled out crew list, and that was never a problem (and probably will never be a problem if it doesnt get filled out), but to give the setting a bit more body, we thought it might make sense to fill out the crew list, now that we're going to leave the ship behind for a while (from chapter 9 onwards).

The idea is that we figured there might have been a full crew compliment of around 75-100 people (yes, that sounds like a lot, but sky ship sailing is hard work and needs people around the clock, in shifts).  Most of these people never show up in the stories and I am certainly not looking forward to creating that many NPCs.

But now that we're leaving the ship behind, we can create a core set of characters, besides our own characters and NPCs. Some of the 100 will simply slip away and leave the crew, due to not seeing any profit, or because they join a group of robbers in the Old West, or whatever. So the characters that stick around need to have some reason why they're sticking around.

I would like to create a couple of NPCs (or see you create them) that make sense to have along. If you have any ideas, please share them here?

Daenelia

• Captain of the Steamhawke
  • Administrator
Information topic
  • Date: 26/08/13
  • Time: 11:29 AM
  • Number of visits: 3129
  • Number of Replies: 15
  • Topic Approved: Yes
  • Topic Sticky: No
  • Topic Locked: No
  • Poll: No

Re: Filling out the crew list

« Reply #1 » Published on:August 26, 2013, 04:17:56 PM

Vertigo

• Snot rag
  • Confused and Weary Technology Scout
    • View Profile

Well I have two characters planned, though I didn't plan on them being created now. One is a kitchen boy and he's pretty far in development, while the other a most likely navigator. She has two variations, using version 2 I could slide her in now, give her a fairly simple bio and build off of it as ideas come. I'll send you my thoughts on what I have with both of them. They'll both stick around.

The compliment makes sense, and I assumed there were more crew members currently that are just doing stuff in the background. Not everyone is important. That's why I left the nosy crew member who Melisande threatened with her gun when she was taking care of Carol in the sick bay anonymous. I didn't want to give that to any of the named crew.

« Reply #2 » Published on:August 26, 2013, 05:54:34 PM

Tals

• Sailor
    • View Profile
    • dA
I have an cabin girl NPC idea that has a roughly finished bio in my head. The original idea was that her father was a relatively famous pirate who was executed by the Brittannic gov't for a crime he didn't commit, so she wants to become THE GREATEST PIRATE EVER even though she doesn't know anything about piracy whatsoever and has to start from the bottom...but I was going to ask you guys about it first XD
av made for me by Fiona Marchbank

« Reply #3 » Published on:August 26, 2013, 06:11:31 PM

Daenelia

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Daenelia.com
I love the idea of a cabin girl who wants to be a the best pirate ever. Tals, feel free to write up an npc like that, either by directly creating one on site, or just posting the idea on the forum or in pm to me and Five.

Vertigo, I'd also love to have a kitchen boy (even if we have no stable cook yet..., maybe Akito can double as cook for the time being). It makes sense to have it be a kitchen boy, because Akito would likely refuse to work with a girl :P Feel free to create him as you see fit, or to bounce ideas around first. And navigator :) always good.

We can link the npcs to your accounts, so you automatically get drawn in a post if these npc's are used. You can then also edit the bios if you need to.
My avatar was drawn by Pyrochan, as commissioned by me

« Reply #4 » Published on:August 26, 2013, 07:26:09 PM

Elena

• Sailor
  • a seadog looking for crewmates
    • View Profile
    • Before the Mast
I function a little differently ;) Tell me what positions you want filled and I'll bring you 2 NPCs to fill those positions. (Well, you know I have a whole cast in my mind... so yes, I can do it, but help me choose by giving me the roles to fill).

And, as you have seen already during various moments of the story, I am ready to write for another NPC too when the story asks for it (e.g. I wrote for the boatswain, for the sky reader).
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 07:28:13 PM by Elena »

« Reply #5 » Published on:August 27, 2013, 09:17:19 AM

Daenelia

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Daenelia.com
That makes it easy, Elena. We will just see what we end up with when we get on the steamtrain and whoever is mssing is yours to make ;)

« Reply #6 » Published on:August 27, 2013, 05:15:38 PM

Elena

• Sailor
    • View Profile
    • Before the Mast
Yes, I am doing much better when I know which is the role I am supposed to fill in the story. Additional ideas come afterwards, but as long as my role isn't clear, my mind is blocked.

« Reply #7 » Published on:September 04, 2013, 11:11:09 AM

Daenelia

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Daenelia.com
I am also quite taken by the kitling npcs in Codenames.

I wonder if we can integrate them into the crew. Because we keep loosing kitlings along the way.

« Reply #8 » Published on:September 04, 2013, 11:17:17 AM

Elena

• Sailor
    • View Profile
    • Before the Mast
Yes, do you need a mini bio for any of them? I can do it tomorrow.

« Reply #9 » Published on:September 05, 2013, 10:18:21 AM

Daenelia

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Daenelia.com
I think Five has a pretty good idea of what he wants to do with the bios, so I will leave that up to him. I will give you a bio to make, Elena! :D

I'll contact you soon.

« Reply #10 » Published on:September 09, 2013, 02:30:00 PM

Daenelia

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Daenelia.com
We have a new NPC, created by Tals: Every Saint Claire. Cabin girl looking for her pirate father wanting to be the Greatest Pirate Ever!

« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 02:32:06 PM by Daenelia »

« Reply #11 » Published on:September 13, 2013, 10:19:47 AM

Elena

• Sailor
    • View Profile
    • Before the Mast
We have now a quartermaster and a master gunner! This evening I'll send you photos, asking you kindly to upload them as their faces, as they don't listen to me :( I think I didn't succeed even Chago's to upload it properly.

Between them two, I'd like the master gunner linked to my account... but can you edit his name, please, to match his parents'? Greek is tricky in transcribing into Latin letters, it can be done in several ways, and I want him to be Vunos, not Vounos (even if it is correct both ways). Yes, it seems I hadn't made my mind from the beginning, sorry about this!

(And, of course, I am at anyone's mercy with introducing them into the Wiki - it bites...)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 10:21:24 AM by Elena »

« Reply #12 » Published on:September 13, 2013, 01:00:13 PM

Daenelia

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Daenelia.com
Members can only edit bios that are linked to their accounts. That is why you couldnt fix their images. You can now edit both bios if you like, but yes, of course I will add the images for you :)

It is one of the things I hope Nova 3 will do a bit better. Attaching images to bios is still a bit unclear. Could be way easier.

« Reply #13 » Published on:October 03, 2013, 06:44:39 PM

Tals

• Sailor
    • View Profile
    • dA
Are we still in need of NPCs? Because I was going through my files and found a half-finished bio for some dude I started last year. If so it can easily be tweaked to fit whoever/whatever is needed.
av made for me by Fiona Marchbank

« Reply #14 » Published on:October 07, 2013, 09:54:50 AM

Daenelia

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Daenelia.com
I think we're still getting a navigator at least, and a kitchen helper. That will go down well with Blazingtail :)

We have since lost our musician and another war dog, but I don't think we need to replace them at the moment.

But if you have a great idea for a sky reader :) I always liked the sky reader position, especially if they were a bit kooky and weird, and esoteric. Like Trelawny? But more steampunk.